Tiova Rotacaps (Tiotropium 18 Mcg)
Tiotropium bromide this is the drug that is involved in making breathing easier for the people suffering from, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder. This medicine is intended for the oral inhalation only with the help of an inhalation product. Tiotropium bromide is an anticholinergic bronchodilator that relieves the discomfort caused by COPD i.e. chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis and emphysema).this medicine is however not recommended for use in acute exacerbations. The drug is administered using a Handihaler inhalation device. Tiotropium comes in a capsule formulation.
How it works
The ailments it is used for:
This medicine is commonly used to control COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases)
Understanding the drug:
How it works?
It acts as a bronchodilator, producing the dilatory effect on smooth muscles and increases the mucus secretion from the nasal passage and bronchioles.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take this drug if you:
- Are pregnant, the doctor must be consulted in an urgency to take the medicine to avoid any harm to the fetus
- Hypersensitivity to Ipratropium or Tiotropium
- Are younger than 10 years of age, as the safety of the medicine is not yet established in children
- Have any type of renal or hepatic impairment
- Having angioderma(swelling of lips, throat and tongue)
How much to take?
The dose intake is prescribed by the Doctor depending upon the severity and demand of the disease condition. Always follow doctor’s instructions.
What are the strengths available?
The drug Tiotropium bromide is available in the following strengths and brands names:
Tiova Inhalers 9 mcg
Who is the manufacturer?
This drug Tiova is manufactured by a well known pharmaceutical company, Cipla. It is available on our websites in various packs of 200, 400 and 600 doses.
How to use?
Do not swallow the capsules as they are for inhalation purpose only. Following are the ways to take the medicine:
- Always check the mouthpiece before using, it should always be clean and dirt free
- Place the inhaler in and upright position and shake well
- Now empty your lungs by exhaling the air completely out of the lungs
- Put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips
- Take a deep breath through your mouth and press the canister to get puff of the medicine
- Remove the inhaler and hold your breath for 10 seconds
- Now breathe out through nose
- Replace the cap and if needed take the second dose by repeating the steps as mentioned above.
When to take?
Take your drug dose at the same time every day as this will become a habit and will be less forgotten by the patient. Take your doctor’s advice about the time of dosage if there is any confusion about the dosage time.
For how long should it be taken?
This medicine controls your condition, but does not cure it. It is thus advised to take the drug as long as recommended by the doc tor even in the case you find yourself well. Do not stop the drug without doctor’s advice.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
Too much this drug may be disturbing or serious in many cases. Due to the overdose of the drug you may have a fast or irregular heartbeat; dry mouth or blurred vision. In such a case visit nearest healthcare center or call your doctor.
What if you miss the dose?
In case you forget to take the dose, take it as soon as you remember, as long as it is at least 12 hours before your next dose. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
What are the side effects?
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- Breathing difficulty or worsening of your breathing problems
- Bilateral conjunctivitis
- Dry mouth
- Pounding heart beat
- Wheezing or troubled breathing
- Stuffy nose, nosebleed
- White patches in your mouth or throat.
In such cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may /may not experience all of them.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
You should ask your doctor about the full list of the drugs to be avoided or that you should be careful of while taking this drug. There are very few adverse drug interactions encountered with this drug yet the co-administration of this drug with other may cause harmful sideffects to other people.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Rinse your mouth after using the inhaler to prevent dry mouth and throat irritation.
- Clean the device once in a month with water
- This medication must be used regularly to be effective
- Talk to your doctor if you suffer from increased eyeball pressure (glaucoma), prostate problems, have difficulty passing urine or suffer from kidney diseases.
- Do not use tiotropium to treat a sudden attack of breathlessness in asthma or COPD.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you develop allergic reactions such as rash, swelling and breathlessness after administration of tiotropium.
- Do not allow the inhalation powder from capsule to enter your eye as this may worsen narrow angle glaucoma causing eye pain, blurred vision, seeing halos around lights, reddening of eyes etc.
Frequently asked questions
|Equivalent Brand||Spiriva Rotacaps|
|Generic Name||Tiotropium Bromide|
|Manufacturer||Cipla Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
SammyJan 26, 2016Better then the best
My breath has come back with this product. I use to take 2 puffs daily and breathing effortlessly thereafter. Nice and tough packing and it came with a device called rotahaler that too free of cost, it's not included in my bill. Thank you guys. You r a DUDE.