Pentids 200 (Penicillin G 200,000 Iu)
How it works
Penicillin G potassium is a natural penicillin and is available in the market under various brand names and dosage forms to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. Penicillin-G is bactericidal in nature against susceptible microbes like Neisseria Gonorrhea, Corynebacterium diphtheria, Bacillus anthracis, clostridia, and Actinomyces species. This drug is available in oral as well as Injectable forms. This drug is commonly prescribed for the infections of respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin, soft tissues and sinuses.
Understanding the drug:
How it works?
The drug penicillin-G potassium is natural penicillin and it acts against bacteria by killing them. This antibiotic slows down the growth or reproduction of the bacteria. It does that by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to penicillin or amoxicillin or any other antibiotic
- Have a history of allergies
- Are pregnant or planning to have a baby
- Are a breastfeeding mother as the drug may pass into the mother’s milk
- Have or ever had kidney problems or any kind of liver problems
- Have asthma or hay fever
- Are taking oral contraceptives as this drug may inhibit the action the oral contraceptives. So, consult your doctor about that too.
- Are below 16 years of age
What are the strengths available?
The following strengths of the combination product are available:
Pentids 200 mg
Pentids 400 mg
Pentids 800 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Pentids products are manufactured by Nicolas Piramal a leading pharmaceutical companies. The products are available in various pack sizes on our website like: 30, 60 and 90 tablets.
How much to take?
Dosage depends upon your age, weight, medical condition and your response to the treatment. Hence doctor will decide your dose. Take the dose exactly as prescribed by the doctor.
How to take?
The drug comes in various forms like tablets and injections. The tablet form of the drug is usually recommended to be taken with or without food. The tablets can be swallowed easily with a glass of water.
When to take?
Take the dose as prescribed by him. Doctor usually recommends dose to be taken with the meal or snack.
For how long should it be taken?
You should take the dose until you finish the prescription. Do not change the dose or stop it even if you feel better. You should complete the dose. Penicillin G potassium should be taken until the full course completes so as the infection ceases out completely.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
Overdose may cause unwanted effects. You may require urgent medical help in this situation. In such a case visit the nearest healthcare center or call your doctor immediately.
What if you miss the dose?
In case you forget to take the dose, skip the dose and take the next dose on the recommended time period if it’s too late but if it’s less than 1 hour of the meal then go and take it. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
What are the side effects?
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following: Severe skin rash, Mild skin rash, Itching, Vaginal itching and discharge, Hives, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Upset stomach, Yellowing of the skin or eyes,Difficulty breathing or swallowing,Wheezing
In above cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may /may not experience all of them. Tell your doctor immediately in the above situations.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Do not share this medicine with anyone else even if he has same symptoms as you do.
- Do not use this medication for any other infection without referring to the doctor.
- In case you do not feel comfort after completing the dose prescribed by the doctor then consult with your doctor immediately
- The safety and efficacy of this drug is not established in children below 16 years of age
- Do not freeze the medicine and store the medicine at room temperature
- It is given as an injection by doctor or nurse directly into a vein or into a muscle.
- Do not take penicillin G, if you are allergic to penicillin or other beta lactam antibiotic or diabetes.
- Do not start or continue the penicillin G, if you have a kidney, liver or heart problem.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking penicillin G and undergoing any blood or urine test, as it may affect the result.
- Do not start or continue the penicillin G, if you experience an overgrowth of yeast (candida) in the body which can lead to fungal infections or severe diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis).
- Avoid using penicillin G, if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
|Generic Name||Penicillin G|
|Manufacturer||Abbott Healthcare, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
WarriorJan 27, 2016Perfect!!!!
i took oral medications for over a year. My health improved, Excellent. must be used for long term