Ifin 250 mg (Terbinafine)
How it works
What is Terbinafine HCl?
Terbinafine HCl is an antifungal medicine. It is used for the treatment of certain types of fungal infections, mainly in fingernails or toenails. Terbinafine HCl is sold under various trade names, a couple of which are Lamisil and Sebifin (made by Ranbaxy). This medicine is available as tablets, oral granules, and topical cream. Terbinafine HCl may also be used for other conditions not listed here.
Important Information about Terbinafine HCl
Prior to using Terbinafine HCl, let your doctor know if you have liver or kidney disease, or an autoimmune disorder like lupus or psoriasis. You must take this medicine for the entire prescribed period, even after all the symptoms have disappeared. The infection may still not be wiped out from your body. Not taking this medicine as prescribed can worsen your condition and cause an infection which is drug resistant.
Liver damage has been observed in some people who take Terbinafine HCl resulting in liver transplant and even death. However, it is not clear or proven that this medicine is the sole reason for liver damage. In most cases, the patient already had a serious condition before taking Terbinafine HCl. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience symptoms of liver damage like nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, appetite loss, dark urine, clay colored tools, or jaundice. You may get these symptoms irrespective of any history of liver problems.
Normal appearance of your nails won’t be seen up to several weeks of using Terbinafine HCl. Be patient and follow your doctor’s instructions carefully. Terbinafine HCl is an FDA pregnancy category B drug. It is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Notify your doctor in advance if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. This medicine can pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby. You must consult your doctor before taking Terbinafine HCl if you are breast feeding a baby.
Before taking or using Terbinafine HCl
Do not take or apply Terbinafine HCl if you are allergic to it. Before taking Terbinafine HCl antifungal medicine (Lamisil, Sebifin), take care of all precautions mentioned above. Discuss them with your doctor and clear all doubts which you may have about this drug.
How should I take or use Terbinafine HCl?
Use Terbinafine HCl antifungal medication (Lamisil, Sebifin) strictly according to your doctor’s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over. All medications come with a patient leaflet. Refer the instructions in them for detailed information on that particular medication.
Before and after applying Terbinafine HCl cream, wash your hands properly, unless you are using it to treat a fingernail infection. Clean and dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of cream to the affected area as directed. Avoid covering the medicated area with dressing or bandages that don’t allow proper air circulation (occlusive dressings). Always store Terbinafine HCl medication in a cool and dry place. Take the tablet form of Terbinafine HCl as directed by your doctor.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Terbinafine HCl, take it as soon as you remember it. Don’t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
What if I overdose?
In case of an overdose of Terbinafine HCl, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immediately.
Things and Activities to avoid while taking Terbinafine HCl
While using Terbinafine HCl topical, avoid covering the treated skin areas as well as don’t apply any other cream on the treated area.
Terbinafine HCl Side Effects
Some common side effects of Terbinafine HCl oral medicine are diarrhea, stomach upset, or a temporary change or loss of taste, whereas some common side effects of Terbinafine HCl topical cream are burning, redness, itching, or irritation. If any of these side effects persist or deteriorate, get medical help right away.
A serious side effect due to Terbinafine HCl is rare but get medical attention right away in case you get serious side effect to this medicine. The side effects mentioned above are not the only ones that you may experience or witness due to Terbinafine HCl. If you get any serious side effects due to this medication, contact your doctor right away.
Terbinafine HCl Dosing Information
Terbinafine HCl dosage may depend on a range of factors like age, sex, drug allergies, or seriousness of the condition among several other factors. Your dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you properly. Remember to follow your doctor’s advice properly for best results.
Interaction with other drugs
Many other drugs can interact with Terbinafine HCl. Let your doctor know in advance if you use any other drugs or related medical products. Never start a new medication without consulting your doctor first.
- Psoriasis (skin disease characterized by thick, scaly, itchy, dry, red and sometimes painful patches on the skin).
- Lupus erythematosus (a disease in which your body’s immune system attacks your tissues and organs causing inflammation that affects your joints, skin and other major organs).
- Liver disease, Kidney problems or any disease which may affect your kidneys, Depression, Alcohol abuse or dependence, Blood related problems including low hemoglobin or red blood cells (anemia).
- You notice any symptoms of abnormal liver function such as - Persistent urge to vomit (nausea), loss of appetite, unusual tiredness, vomiting, stomach pain, yellowing of skin and eyes (jaundice), dark color urine or pale stools.
- You feel depressed or experience any signs of depression.
- You experience any signs of serious skin reactions such as blisters, peeling of skin, swelling of face lips, tongue, and difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
- Experience taste disturbances including loss of taste.
- Experience smell disturbances including loss of smell.
- You are diagnosed with abnormal structure, function or quality of blood cells (blood dyscrasias).
- Terbinafine creams/ointments are meant for external use only.
- Do not use terbinafine creams/ointments on the face. Avoid contact with eyes. In case of accidental contact with eyes, rinse thoroughly with running water. Cleanse and dry the affected areas thoroughly and wash your hands before applying terbinafine cream.For better treatment results, keep the affected areas clean by regular washing and careful drying with your own clean towels and clothes. Do not rub or scratch the skin.
Frequently asked questions
|Generic Name||Terbinafine HCl|
|Manufacturer||Glenmark Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.